Wednesday 19 January 2011

"everything old is new again.."

That saying has been 'round for a long time.  And it's true.  Really.

Well, not so much with people..if you're old..well... wait..they can be new, right?

I mean, first your not old, then you are old and that is a new thing to be.. old..which is new, again.

So, there you have it.  It's true.  Entirely.

But the reason I bring this up is that I work with a group of young girls {20 + 30 somehtings)  That's 20 AND 30..not 20 PLUS 30..that would be like.. 50..and although that is still younger than me..it's not all that young..

So anyway..they have discovered..crocheting!  Yep, crochet..hairbands and flowers, scarves and do-dads.  And they're so cute..it's like they've discovered this whole new thing..which, in their repertoire, is a whole new thing.


And there's also a renewed vitality in embroidery.  Hand and hoop style.  I do love it and haven't done it in years.



It's easy and affordable and portable.   And, there are tons of "show me" videos on YouTube.  Free.

You don't even need your dear old Home Ec teacher (do they even call them that? Or is it something like "Life Skills for the 22nd Century Home Coaches"??)



Some of the patterns I have seen on-line...well, let's just say that ain't your Grandma's embroidery anymore..

Makes me think..what's next? Macrame?




Oh, I hope...NOT.

Anyway, I'm glad to see these young women doing fine hand work, realizing the importance of learning new skills....all the while on their iPhones, or their iPads, listening to their iPods..

..and discovering some quiet, peaceful, non-technology times.

Yeah, right.


-me...and..

Stanley :-)


No comments:

Post a Comment